Saturday, October 4, 2008

When Families Collide

It's a funny, strange thing to meet family that you've never seen or heard of before. It's mostly impossible to guess what it'll be like, whether everyone will get along or if furtive glances will speak to pangs of deep misjudgment. Luckily, everyone got along just fine.

Having thus made first contact with the natives of this lost familial continent, I can now say this with pride: my uncle is Frederick Douglass. Okay, he's not precisely Frederick Douglass, he simply plays one, among other historical personages of import, as well as teaches middle school. In the tradition of all great uncles, he is funny and loquacious. My aunt has courageously battled back and recovered from Lupus related nastiness.

Gary Giles as Frederick Douglass

The only thing I've battled through is my cousin in a game of Madden (Jets 24, Colts 0 baby!), not exactly impressive in light of the achievements on display that night. I definitely have work to do.

I don't suppose there's a market for impersonating minor historical figures like say... a young Walter Mondale, is there?

... I really have work to do.