Thursday, April 24, 2008

LOST: The Shape of Things to Come

This has fired me up in a way that hasn't happened for a long time. There was the perfect combination of action and exposition, tension and release, mystery and reveal.

Ben is a bad man. There is no doubt about that. It is almost impossible to tell, at any time, if he's caught up in events or simply playing a part in a situation he orchestrated, the outcome never in doubt. However, it appears he may out have out-Benned himself tonight. As he said repeatedly, the nefarious forces of Mr. Whitmore changed the rules and, for once, Ben was caught by surprise. Judging from the aftermath, he's not taking it lying down.

I loved the culling of the extras during the assault on the village but they didn't take it far enough. Claire was sitting directly in the crosshairs but the writers were not brave enough to pull the trigger. That she emerged from the wanton destruction so unscathed is the apex of cheese.

The beach boys, Jack and co., are becoming less and less interesting. I suppose that explains why Sawyer has to go back: he's got to liven things up down there. As much as I am not a fan of the love triangle, I don't think I can stand anymore Jun and Sung episodes.

I am not a Hurley fan. His comic relief only goes so far and, for my mileage, that distance can be measured in inches. However, he did man up when he needed to. Could this be a sign that he could be maturing? Yes, I know, every six or so episodes, Hurley will step to the fore but he inevitably slides back into sidekickdom. Maybe the cycle is just due to come around again but I'd prefer to fool myself for the time being in thinking he's turned a corner... until next week.