Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Mummy Vice

I really enjoyed the 1999 film, The Mummy. I loved the b-movie sensibilities. I had a borderline unhealthy fondness for Beni. It was a poor man's Indiana Jones and I ate it up. Then came The Mummy II and it crushed my goodwill under the steel-toed boot of its awfulness.

Now comes a new Mummy film: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Is there any reason I should get my hopes up at all?

Indiana Jones already failed me. That was Spielberg. Could a film by a guy whose directorial filmography includes such gems as Stealth, xXx, The Fast and the Furious, and Dragonheart, succeed where mightier men have failed? My Magic Eight-Ball says, "Answer unclear ask later." Thanks a lot.

I have one ray of hope, one tiny, monomolecular sliver of hope: three episodes of Miami Vice. He directed three episodes of my beloved Vice, three episodes of Crockett, Tubbs, Switek and the gang. That's got to count for something, doesn't it? ...Doesn't it? The Magic Eight-Ball says, "The stars say no." Stupid ball.