Monday, June 30, 2008

Not-So-Random Detritus: Monday Edition

Weekend with cousin Paul came to an end. It was a good time but we didn't get to do a couple of things I wanted to do (the Unfancy Food Show and McCarren Park) and a couple of things he wanted to do (a Broadway show, a museum). I should have known some devilry was at work when Paul's flight got cancelled and he had to fight and claw to get into a later flight to Newark and ultimately arrive at my apartment at 3:30 AM.

Given that we didn't get to sleep until 4, I think we did well to get up and going at 11. After brunch at the Pillow Cafe, we took a jaunt around the 'hood and through Fort Greene Park.

It was about 2 PM when we finished there and headed down to Prospect Park with an eye for hitting up the museum. We got to the park and took a turn through the grounds but we began to tire and the weather began to sour. We turned back. A party in Prospect Heights ended the evening. The party was excellent except for a viscous, neverending conversation I got sucked into. By the end, I was praying for the Nothing to sweep me away into sweet oblivion. Where's Gmork when you need him?

Sunday, after brunch at Maggie Brown, we went perusing at the Brooklyn Flea. I came out a winner but, again, some grumpy weather turned us back. The afternoon was consumed by Metal Gear Solid IV. Dinner was pizza, followed by some of my British TV imports (The Smoking Room, Peep Show, assorted Mitchell & Webb) and, just like that, Sunday was in the books.

I liked that we stuck to Brooklyn this time around. He got to see a different flavor then he usual, something more unique, in some ways more quintessentially New York. I hope he enjoyed it and doesn't regret not seeing Manhattan. I think he did. I'm reasonably sure. Plus we got to avoid the G train over the weekend, bonus!