Monday, August 25, 2008

Hello, Dalí!

I took my mother to see the Dalí exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art yesterday. It was a really good exhibit of Dali's work. Of particular interest were projected screenings of films and film snippets that Dalí was involved in, from his collaborative film with Luis Buñuel, Un Chien Andalou, to the dream sequence he filmed for Hitchcock's Spellbound to a recently finished and restored animated project he created with Disney. The films themselves are interesting and made even more so, projected surrounded by artwork. As is to be expected for a Sunday, the joint was packed.

The Disney collaboration, Destino was particularly interesting. It was begun in 1945 but was shelved. Roy Disney decided to finish it in 1999. The completed animation is really interesting. I'd love to get it on disc though not attached to another Disney flick. I'd love to see some documentaries and other features about the film and the men involved. However, Wikipedia seems to think it'll get attached to Beverly Hills Chihuahua. Well that's just great.


The Dalí exhibit was a strictly no-camera affair but I did take some pictures of other exhibits. I'm still uploading (slowly) pictures from my New England trip but I'll put up what I've got when I can.