Monday, August 4, 2008

The Strange Case of the Sick Hawk

A strange thing happened on the way to kickball yesterday, rather at kickball yesterday: a redtailed hawk had taken refuge in a tree in McCarren Park right off the playing fields.

Lots of people gathered around to take a look. One gentleman who seemed so sincere and serious that I could not help but believe him, shook his head sagely and said, quietly, "The hawk is very sick. It will die soon." I don't know how he knows this but it didn't take a trained eye to see the hawk looked more than a little under the weather.

Someone from Parks & Recreation did take a look at the poor bird of prey but I don't know if anything was done. I didn't go back to look for it when I left.


If the maybe-dying bird was an omen, it wasn't a good one. We lost narrowly 5-4 in game one and got crushed, 9-2, in game two. It was a bummer all around.