Friday, August 1, 2008

Okay, So It Sucks

Do not ask me why but I've been infected with the unholy urge to see The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Look, I know it's going to be rotten. It's going to be rotten awful. And yet. And yet, I still want to see it. Lord, help me but I do.

The Mummy III

Think I might be wrong? Think the newest Mummy might be the good stuff? Here's what the Times said about it:

The kindest thing to be said for this frantic, cluttered mess of cheesy computer-generated action-adventure clich鳠is that at least you can see how the estimated $175 million budget (according to the Internet Movie Database) was spent. We get an avalanche, an army of bow-and-arrow-wielding skeletons, a car chase that turns into a fireworks explosion, and a cadre of snowy yetis. In the movie?s futile drive to conjure visceral excitement, the action sequences are edited into an incoherent jumble that makes you feel trapped on a rickety airplane sitting in a pool of yak vomit.

Source: "Curses" by Stephen Holden

He is not mincing words. It is bad. The only question is: how bad. Tomb Raider 2 bad? Eragon bad? The Mummy's measuring stick is how far it falls in the pit of shame. And it's a deep pit. Yet, I still want to see it. My god, what is wrong with me?