Thursday, August 21, 2008

Madden For Realz, Son

Sometimes it's hard to imagine how big the Madden football games have become culturally. Everyone knows what it is. It shows up on TV, movies, and music. It's become as much a part of the fabric of the American male as the sport it simulates.

From this embedded position, it shouldn't be a surprise, that celebs would challenge each other to high stakes Madden showdowns. But it is a surprise (to me at any rate) and completely, totally awesome.

On Tuesday, Bow released a video on DimeWars.com challenging his friend to a $100,000 video game showdown.

"I seen you do your thing in 'Madden,' " Bow said. "I want to let you know I will bust your ass in that 'Madden.' We can get it poppin'.

"The winner can take the money, and we can donate it to charity," he added. "Donate it to a good cause."

A Game video blog started circulating Wednesday morning (August 20), in which the Compton concrete-smasher accepted the challenge. He crassly said he would up the stakes to 100 G's and sexual favors from Bow's ex-girlfriend Ciara.

" 'Madden' — I do this sh-- every day," Game said from his tour bus. "This is the 'Madden' bus, n---a. You can't f--- with me. I been playing this sh-- since you was in diapers. Since '89, 'Bill Walsh College Football.' You was 3 years old when 'Madden' came out." (Actually, Bow was 2 in 1989, and the first version of the game, "John Madden Football," dropped in 1988.)

Source: "Game Vs. Bow Wow: No Rap Beef Here, Just A 'Madden 09' Face-Off" by Shaheem Reid (MTV News)

This needs to happen and it needs to be televised. I know I want to see it.