Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mr. Muji


MUJI
Originally uploaded by Critical Todd

As is my weekly wont, I was up at midtown during lunch today. On my walk, I passed by a now open MUJI on 40th street. I could have sworn that it was still under construction last time I was up here. I could be wrong before though. It's happened. Shocking, I know.

Having no idea what MUJI is, I hit up the website. Here's what they say about themselves:

What is MUJI?

MUJI is not a brand whose value rests in the frills and "extras" it adds to its products.

MUJI is simplicity - but a simplicity achieved through a complexity of thought and design.

MUJI's streamlining is the result of the careful elmination and subtraction of gratuitous features and design unrelated to function.

MUJI, the brand, is rational, and free of agenda, doctrine, and "isms." The MUJI concept derives from us continuously asking, "What is best from an individual's point of view?"

MUJI aspires to modesty and plainness, the better to adapt and shape itself to the styles, preferences, and practices of as wide a group of people as possible. This is the single most important reason people embrace MUJI.

MUJI - in its deliberate pursuit of the pure and the ordinary - achieves the extraordinary.

It reads like a series of marketing haiku. Maybe intentionally. And it doesn't tell me much about what's actually inside the joint. Anybody been inside?

Is it just me or are a lot of Japanese chains opening up stores in the city? Not that I mind. I still need to go back to Uniqlo. They've got some bad ass t-shirts.

Oh yeah, it's still ridiculously hot. I thought I moved away from Houston to get away from heat like this?