Thursday, June 19, 2008

Post-Its From the Edge (Thursday Edition)

I didn't mention this but I had my credit card stolen last week. Not the physical card but the digits. Hat's off to my bank (love you, Wamu) for catching it on the quick. It's been more of a nuisance than a problem: I use my bank card a lot for bill-paying and, having canceled the card, I'm finding my finely tuned financial plans collapsing like a house of (credit) cards. And I've had to start packing cash, which I'm not used to. Hopefully my replacement card will show up sooner rather than later.

Paging Inspector Gadget...

I saw a posting over at Engadget of job openings for tech bloggers and editors. I've decided to give it a go. Regardless of what happens, it'll be a good writing exercise. I'll post my pseudo-Engadget entries here after I submit them. Who knows, maybe something will shake loose.

What is brown doing for me?

I've got big issues with packages being delivered home and I'm not sure what to do with it. I had one case a couple of weeks ago when Fedex left a package outside, citing some signature release form that I don't remember signing, certainly not since I moved. I live in a walk-up so outside means outside which meant gone by the time I got home. UPS, at least, doesn't just leave my stuff out on the street but I can't seem to figure out when they deliver. I've been home and missed them. I'm not sure they're making much of an effort to check if I'm actually around before leaving a sticker and hightailing it.

I order from Amazon pretty regularly so this is an issue. I guess I could put in special instructions to always hold for pickup somewhere but I have no idea where the closest Fedex or UPS locations are. I guess I better find out. It's getting out of hand.

Getting grilled...

I need to buy a grill. Now that I have a backyard of sorts, I'm ready to break out the charcoals and start burning steaks. However, since I don't feel safe ordering one online at the moment, I need to find a local vendor. Anyone know where to buy a grill? I think I want a Weber: a nice, not complicated, classic Weber. My cousin is coming to visit next weekend so I'd love to have it by then. If anybody knows a local grill seller, kindly let me know.