Friday, June 13, 2008

Sorry, Says the Body Thief

Being that it's Friday the 13th and all, I was disappointed that news of the macabre was not clotting and clogging my reading this morning. Until now.

A New Jersey dentist behind a scheme to steal body parts from corpses, including that of British journalist Alistair Cooke, faced relatives of the dead in court on Thursday and apologized for the anguish he caused.

Michael Mastromarino, 44, in March admitted to leading a $4.6 million operation that stole body parts from funeral homes in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

The ring dismembered more than 1,000 cadavers in unsanitary conditions, and sold parts to doctors who transplanted them into patients.

No disrespect to Alistair Cooke (ok, maybe a little disrespect), but as great a guy as he was, he was older than Methuselah. Whoever paid to have his 95 year old parts sewn on to him better have gotten a good bargain. That stuff was way past its warranty. Something tells me Mastromarino didn't check the expiration dates.

Note: Ok, that was a very bad joke. But it's Friday the 13th, dammit! If I can't use that joke here, when can I use it? You tell me. Or don't.