Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Blox Go Boom


BOOM BLOX_Screenshot 6
Originally uploaded by gonintendo_flickr
Since I moved to Brooklyn last month, I have unpacked, put away, and plugged in all my gear except for one: my . My Wii has been sitting cold, lonely, and unloved. That will change today when i go out and buy Boom Blox. It will do what failed to do: get me to plug in my console.

The buzz on this game has been building for the past couple of months. Every gaming podcast I listen to has, at one point or another, helped build that buzz by heaping on large dollups of praise. I don't really know what this game is about, except that it gets explained as a sort of exploding version of Jenga. Throw in level editing and sharing tools and you've got a premise I can sink my teeth into. Seeing the trailer (and other gameplay snippets) on YouTube didn't hurt either.

There's something primal about building up great ziggurats of stuff and then destroying them. seems to strike directly into that genetic vein. I'm looking forward to giving this a go and finally bringing my poor Wii out of the darkness and into the light.