Sunday, May 18, 2008

Subway Social Commentary

Posters adorn every subway stop in the city, hawking upcoming movies, television shows, products, or whatever. Every time I go down to my local subway stop (the Clinton-Washington G), it seems like there's a new poster glued to the wall. Also, within a day, someone has usually marked up the poster with a sharpie or other marker. Sometimes the result is offensive but mostly, this commentary is either funny, socially relevant, or both. As a consequence, I started taking photographs of the marked up posters.

I've decided to collect them together. I think they form an interesting look into the mind of my fellow Clinton Hill dwellers, or at least those lovable (maybe) rogues who wander the subway stations, marker in hand, meting out justice (or miscarriages thereof) on the commercial powers that be. The sharpie is mightier than the sword?