Monday, May 12, 2008

WiiWare Comes Aliive


Defend your Castle
Originally uploaded by MonkeyYu

The Wii has long ago awarded every investor of the letter i. The virtual console enabled old-schooler gamers like me to re-buy and replay games from our youth. Until now, however, there were no original downloadable games such as can be found on Steam, Xbox Live Arcade, or the Playstation Network. Now, in the form of , has arrived.

There are a handful of titles at launch, two of which I downloaded: and . I've only had a chance to play Defend Your Castle so far.

My first impression is... it's okay, pretty good if you were to press me. I love the look - a sort of junior high school hand-drawn on a sheet of notepaper with popsicle sticks and bottle caps. As the title suggests, the sole object of the game is to defend your castle from an onslaught of stick figures and stick monsters.

The problem I see is the repetition of the game. It really is the same, exact thing every "stage". There are incidentals: you can buy additions to the castle that you can use to capture and retrain attackers as archers, masons (to repair the castle) and magicians. But with all that, each stage is the same background (changing weather withstanding) and the same action, namely picking up enemy soldiers and hurling them in the air. The castle may get upgrades but, so far, the player doesn't get any changes. I've played up to the 15th stage.

I'd say I'll give LostWinds tonight but I won't, since I'm going to go see William Shatner. It will have to wait until tomorrow.