Sunday, May 25, 2008

Happy Birthday, Brooklyn Bridge!

Today, after I grab something to eat, I'm going to walk down to the Brooklyn Bridge. This weekend, the city is celebrating the bridge's 125th birthday. In grade school I wrote a report on the building of the bridge. It really was a triumph of engineering and will. The old girl still looks good.

I'm especially interested in checking out the telectroscope. What's a telectroscope?

Hardly anyone knows that a secret tunnel runs deep beneath the Atlantic Ocean. In May 2008, more than a century after it was begun, the tunnel has finally been completed. An extraordinary optical device called a Telectroscope has been installed at both ends which miraculously allows people to see right through the Earth from London to New York and vice versa.

Now I'll finally be able to see what those damned Brits are up to when they think no one's watching!

The fates are showing the old bridge some love because today is a beautiful day for a birthday.